By Charlie Owen on
Some live notes from #a11yclub Düsseldorf.
A11y Club is super fab, and I always love coming here. Here's some live notes.
Manuel Matuzović - Accessible React
8 tips for React apps.
1. Create a sound document outline
- Screen readers navigate by headings. Skip direct to heading.
- React heading component. Automatically sets heading levels.
- use tools to determine outline. Toberly?
- also benefits SEO
2. Hide content correctly
- You can hide headings visually.
- Don't use
display: noneas it hides things from a11y tree
- But best to incorporate into design.
- Use text for all icon buttons. You can visually hide it.
3. Use buttons when appropriate!
- don't use divs! They are not focusable. You can make it accessible but why do the extra work?
- button gives semantic meaning for free
4. Use fragments to avoid invalid HTML.
- Fragments allow you to avoid typical React div wrappers
5. Take care of focus management.
- React client apps continuously modify DOM
- this can lead to focus being lost
- make sure you manage focus!
- but don't over complicate it!
6. Make notifications accessible to everyone.
- popup messages need to be accessible to screen readers
- use aria Live Regions to communicate to screen readers
- Reach UI, react-aria-live
7. Announce page changes when SPA "page" changes.
- Reach Router can help a lot with this.
8. Test your React code automatically.
react-axeis best tool
- use only on dev
- auto testing lets you test for low hanging fruit
Marc Hainschild - Separation of Concerns
- works for federal office of agriculture and food
- needs way to have components that work in many different apps and tech stacks
- wants to respect separation of concerns.
- HTML first, with server side rendered code, progressively enhanced.
- starting with HTML makes accessibility first class citizen.
- Has base styles for all HTML primitives.
- Applies specialised component styles as needed.
- Example of [Able Player](https://ableplayer.github.io/ableplayer/ transcriptions).
- Designing for a disability makes life better for so many other people.
- HTML, CSS, A11y fully documented in specs.